Official Multiversion Support

• Could this plugin be integrated as a core function of glowstone? https://github.com/ProtocolSupport/ProtocolSupport
    It would give Glowstone a unique feature that no other software has, and having the peace of mind for server admins that old mc versions work on their server so they don’t have to wait for other big servers to update before they update. The plugin has GlowstoneMC support so it should be straightforward to implement it or include it in the download as pre installed. (btw there is no config options to configure, it just works)

• Admin

This isn’t a part of our functionality.

We actually spent a few weeks recently laying the ground work so that ProtocolSupport is able to support Glowstone in the first place.

That said, we do not want to maintain or release Glowstone builds that target multiple major protocol versions - not only because we don’t have the time, but also because we don’t want to encourage users to remain on old protocol versions - and this kind of thing is best left to someone that already has experience in it.

• Admin

@Tom I don’t see the benefit in rewriting a lot of our netcode in order to cleanly implement multi version support when we already have this plugin available. Could you explain why it’s better to have builtin support? Using the plugin has the exact same effect.

Perhaps you will be looking forward to Shine, which will be a plugin management/download system for Glowstone, so you can easily get new functionality from plugins.

With the current information, I don’t think it makes sense to include ProtocolSupport in Glowstone. Of course, I would be happy to be convinced.

• I think it would be of benefit because as a server admin you would know that updating the server will add support for a new version and the users would know that playing on a glowstone server they can keep using mods without the fear of the server updating and losing the ability to play. Some servers update faster than others so its not always an advantage to stay on a newer or older version because if the main server someone plays on is on version x and your server only supports version y players wont bother to change between just to play on your server. Of course when you have both versions you solve all the problems.

• Admin

But if that’s the case, they can just use ProtocolSupport, right? What’s the specific advantage for our project?

• Admin

@Tom I think what you’re getting confused here is plugins breaking every update. If you update Glowstone to a newer Minecraft version, your plugins will not stop working. So ProtocolSupport will not break if you update Glowstone, so there is no benefit to integrating it.

• This is different, it has a list of Protocol Versions and Minecraft versions inside it, so if lets say you update to 1.12 from 1.11.2 and you don’t update ProtocolSupport protocolsupport does not know about the new protocol even if the server supports it and wont let it join

• Admin

Surely that’s ProtocolSupport’s problem, and not ours?

• An Api that let’s Protocolsupport get the latest version the server supports would enable the Protocolsupport plug-in to dynamically generate it’s list on glowstone and simply pass-through new versions it doesn’t recognize to the server.

• Admin

@Tom But it can’t work like that. Mojang can change the protocol however they want, so versions are not necessarily easily translatable or possible to expose through an API. You should just wait for ProtocolSupport to update to the new version. If we were to have multiversion support, we would get out updates slower and it would take the more time than waiting for ProtocolSupport. Maybe it will make sense if we had more developers, but right now we barely have enough resources to handle 1 version.

• On some networks this means they can’t update until the plugin gets updated, so, they will wait anyways even if glowstone is released early

• Admin

@Tom said in Official Multiversion Support:

On some networks this means they can’t update until the plugin gets updated, so, they will wait anyways even if glowstone is released early

They’ll be waiting even longer if we do it

• Admin

@Tom

Let me go over the cases you’ve presented for server owners:

those who immediately update to the latest version: if we include multi version support, we will be delaying the update for them to no benefit to them

those who wait: they will have to wait longer for glowstone to update with multiversion support, compared to just waiting for ProtocolSupport

I don’t see a situation where it would be beneficial, but it rather harms our users.

Plus, why are people updating Glowstone slower than others?

• Admin

@Tom Since we forgot to mention it here, you should know that ProtocolSupport now supports Glowstone, properly.

Looks like your connection to Glowstone was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.