General questions MC server

• Hello everyone,

A long time ago (2013), I started making servers with friends. Back then it was mainly configuring plugins, but I slowly moved to making my own plugins. After getting better at Java, I turned my back to it and went on to do 3D game development, but recently I and a friend have come up with a good idea for a server, and I want to pick up plugin-development again.

However, I’m not sure how to get an API. From what I have found, there’s currently Sponge, Bukkit/Spigot/etc. and simply Forge. What API should I get?

I also wonder how tolerant the API is/should be. The Sponge website tells how plugins can be used on multiple versions without updating, which sounds great. My experience with Bukkit is that if there’s something wrong with the versions, the plugin will be stopped before .onEnable().

Then, I need to have a server to run the plugins. I know that Vanilla, Spigot, CraftBukkit(down), Sponge, Glowtone and Spigot all exist and do the almost same job. After some minor research I have decided to choose between Glowstone and Sponge, as they are both open-source and in development. I have no idea wether Spigot is open-source too.

Summary:
    I’m fairly new to own servers, and I’d like some recommendations to start.

1. What API should I use?
    2. What server should I use? (Glowstone, Sponge, Spigot)

• @MisterCavespider said in General questions MC server:

Hello everyone,

A long time ago (2013), I started making servers with friends. Back then it was mainly configuring plugins, but I slowly moved to making my own plugins. After getting better at Java, I turned my back to it and went on to do 3D game development, but recently I and a friend have come up with a good idea for a server, and I want to pick up plugin-development again.

However, I’m not sure how to get an API. From what I have found, there’s currently Sponge, Bukkit/Spigot/etc. and simply Forge. What API should I get?

I also wonder how tolerant the API is/should be. The Sponge website tells how plugins can be used on multiple versions without updating, which sounds great. My experience with Bukkit is that if there’s something wrong with the versions, the plugin will be stopped before .onEnable().

Then, I need to have a server to run the plugins. I know that Vanilla, Spigot, CraftBukkit(down), Sponge, Glowtone and Spigot all exist and do the almost same job. After some minor research I have decided to choose between Glowstone and Sponge, as they are both open-source and in development. I have no idea wether Spigot is open-source too.

Summary:
    I’m fairly new to own servers, and I’d like some recommendations to start.

1. What API should I use?
    2. What server should I use? (Glowstone, Sponge, Spigot)
    • The Bukkit API is by far more constant through multiple versions at the moment while Sponge is still in Beta stage with massive changes. Mostly plugins that use server internals get outdated when new versions get released, but there is not and will never be an API that covers everything imaginable without exceptions.
    • Spigot and CraftBukkit are open source, the code is available here: http://hub.spigotmc.org/stash
      The difference between Glowstone and CraftBukkit is that CraftBukkit is based on the Mojang server while Glowstone is 100% original and open source.
    • Because it is newer, Sponge is able learn from the Bukkit project and its design. However, it still seems to be personal preference which one you find more convenient.
    • There is currently no Bukkit implementation for Forge which is as stable as SpongeForge.
    • Sponge is still barely in use. There are not many plugins available.

Well, I don’t know what you expect as a recommendation if you ask at Glowstone forums. I myself go with the Bukkit API and create implementations for the latest few CraftBukkit package versions and Glowstone. I currently do not use Glowstone as a server software because some features I need are missing, but I’m looking forward to switching from Spigot.

• Admin

@MisterCavespider

Bukkit Plugins that are disabled during onEnable() are not what we would call “pure” Bukkit plugins. They use internal Mojang code which is version specific. A plugin uses Bukkit only will not break from version to version. In theory, this is true for Sponge as well, but the API is new and is changing a lot, though it is getting much more stable.

Sponge is not purely open source either. It is just as open source as Spigot or CraftBukkit. It still uses Minecraft code. Glowstone does not. But Glowstone is not complete, so unless you’re willing to experiment with Glowstone, I would recommend PaperSpigot, which is a fork of Spigot with bug fixes and performance improvements.

Looks like your connection to Glowstone was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.